Mosquitoes: A Guide To Identification, Prevention, And Control In Philadelphia
July 15, 2023
Mosquitoes can quickly turn a fun summer evening outdoors into an uncomfortable and itchy night. If you’re tired of hearing that tell-tale buzzing while sitting on your deck or patio and want to know if there’s anything you can do to keep those unwanted pests at bay, you’re in luck. Your Philadelphia pest control experts are here to help.
Let’s take a look at how to decide if you have a mosquito infestation, what you can do to prevent them from invading your yard, and how to cope with an active mosquito problem on your property.
Mosquito Or Not? How To Identify Them At A Glance
Though mosquitoes in Philadelphia are fairly distinctive once they bite you, they’re not always easy to identify while they’re flying around your yard. In fact, there are several species of insects that look like mosquitoes but won’t bite you or interrupt your evenings outdoors.
Here are a few key characteristics to watch for so you can decide if you have mosquitoes or another type of insect.
- Long legs: Mosquitoes are small but tend to have incredibly long legs relative to their bodies.
- Two wings: Unlike other flying insects, mosquitoes have only two narrow wings.
- Visible proboscis: The proboscis is the mouthpart or the part of the body the mosquito uses to bite and feed.
Up close, there’s no mistaking mosquitoes for other insects. If you notice an insect with the above characteristics, it’s likely a mosquito. However, if you’re not sure, you can always ask your Philadelphia mosquito control specialist. They can determine if you have an active infestation.
Warning Signs To Watch For When Bitten By A Mosquito
In most instances, mosquitoes are little more than a nuisance, and their bites appear very similar to other insect bites. Unfortunately, this makes figuring out if you were bitten by a mosquito tricky if you’re unsure what to look for.
Here are a few key signs to watch for if a mosquito bites you:
- Mosquito bites cause swollen, red bumps at each bite site. These can range in size and typically appear a few minutes after the bite occurs.
- Some people develop small blisters at the site of each bite rather than red bumps. These blisters are full of fluid and, if popped, can lead to an infection at the site.
- People with fair skin may notice bruising around the bite site.
- Individuals allergic to mosquito bites may develop a low-grade fever after a bite.
- Individuals allergic to mosquito bites may experience increased swelling around the bite accompanied by redness and pain.
Though the bites are not typically a cause for alarm, mosquitoes also carry diseases that require medical treatment. Talk to your doctor immediately if you’ve been bitten by a mosquito and feel unwell.
Five No-Nonsense Mosquito Prevention Tips
Though it’s impossible to get rid of mosquitoes when you’re outside completely, there are some things you can do to keep them from being a true nuisance in your yard.
Here are five key prevention tips that may help.
- Remove standing water from the base of plants, as well as overturned trash can lids, puddles, fountains, and other water sources.
- Get rid of excess vegetation to reduce shady spots for mosquitoes to rest.
- Stay inside at dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
- Wear long pants, long-sleeved shirts, shoes, and socks outdoors to make it harder for mosquitoes to bite you.
- Use a bug repellent to keep mosquitoes from biting you.
These tips are just a starting point. The best way to keep mosquitoes away from your Philadelphia home is to work with a professional pest control specialist.
Professional Mosquito Control Offers Top Quality Protection
If you think you have a mosquito problem, the best thing you can do is reach out to an experienced pest control company like Harpoon Pest Solutions. Our dedicated team will do what we can to kill mosquitoes indoors and out so you and your loved ones can enjoy your yard in comfort. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Philadelphia.