When the cold weather approaches, we frantically begin a quest to hunt down our warm clothes and accessories. Similar to pests (although some go into hibernation) they also seek shelter for warmth and food sources. It’s often a misconception that bugs and other pests simply go away during the colder months. Therefore, it’s vital to contact an exterminator to take preventative measures, or to inspect for current infestations. Harpoon Pest Solutions, a roach exterminator near Philadelphia, PA, is dedicated to protecting you and your property through comprehensive pest services. In fact, consider some of this information below when it comes to pests this winter!
Pests That Commonly Invade Homes During The Winter Months
- House Mice
- Brown Recluse Spiders
Tips for Treating These Pests
- Routinely inspect your home for signs of mice invasions, such as gnaw marks, damage to storage boxes/containers, or visible droppings.
- Mice often hide in clutter, so keeping boxes off the ground in storage spaces can prevent their invasion.
- Use steel wood or caulk on cracks on the outside of your home, as mice can fit through holes as small as a dime.
- Similar to mice, rats can fit in small holes that are a half inch, or even the size of a quarter. Because of this, be sure to inspect the outside of your home for visible cracks or holes and fill them with silicone caulk immediately.
- Rats are attracted to areas of warmth or humidity, so remove any source of moisture in a basement or crawl space.
- Don’t leave crumbs or other food particles around your home.
- Be sure to vacuum and dispose of garbage regularly.
- Routinely check kitchen cabinets or under the sink where moisture can likely build up.
Brown Recluse Spiders
- Pay close attention to shoes or clothes that you haven’t worn in a while, as spiders often hide in them.
- Dust and vacuum your home regularly.
- Keep firewood outside.
- Inspect the exterior of your home for any possible means of entry, such as broken vent covers.
- Keep tree branches trimmed away from your home.
- Install mesh covers overexposed areas, such as a chimney to prevent entry.
- Use trash cans and recycling bins that have animal-proof lids. If possible, store in a shed or enclosed area.
It’s never a good feeling knowing there are insects and pests invading your home in areas you don’t often think to check. For your edification, follow the tips above and take necessary preventative measures.
Harpoon Pest Solutions is a top-rated roach exterminator in Chester County and the surrounding areas. We are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., with appointment only services on Saturday. Call us today at 215-309-8725 and let Harpoon Pest Solutions restore your peace of mind by helping you take back control of your home!